Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ask, Don't Tell

Dear Mothers,

I am not your property.  You do not own me.  You have the privilege of employing me, but I am my own person operating under my own power.

When you would like me to work for you, please feel free to ask me my availability.  Should I find myself available on the particular evening of your request, I will consider accepting the job of watching your children.  Please do not assume that I am available and simply tell me when and where to arrive, as I do have a life outside of your household and I would hate for you to have to cancel your dinner plans because of my personal schedule.

I might also add that making me feel guilty for having a social life is unkind and unnecessary.  I do not make you feel guilty for hiring someone else to take care of your children.

Thank you,
The Nanny

No comments:

Post a Comment